Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Twelve Drummers Drumming

Happy Twelfth Night to one and all. Enjoy the end of the Christmas season, with all its crossdressing, pining for secret loves, and Puritan taunting.

One last image from the holidays for you: a few days after Christmas found me crouched over my dad's old Gateway computer, unscrewing pretty much the whole chassis so I could remove the hard drive and transfer his digital photos to his new computer. (This appears to be something Gateway did not want its customers doing 5 years ago.) This turned out to be less easy than I'd expected, although I still think it was easier than getting the old Windows 98 system up and running and recognizing a new USB memory key.

It doesn't seem all that long ago that it was Dad scratching his head and saying "boy, this Caveman Mountain Playset sure has a lot of pieces" while I chanted "Can I play with it now? How about now?" To every thing there is a season.

Neil Gaiman has written one of the most eloquent expressions of good will for the new year that I've seen in a long time, so I'll pass it along to all of you:

May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't to forget make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And don't forget my birthday! (Is it any wonder why "12th Night" is one of my favorite plays?)

Ok, what should I buy for myself this year: XM Radio or a Palm Treo 650?

Regards,
tommyspoon

10:10 AM, January 06, 2005  
Blogger lemming said...

Happy Birthday, Mr. S. Based on your 9/11 story, I'd vote for the phone.

1:28 PM, January 06, 2005  
Blogger Joe said...

I thought I had you covered under "Puritan taunting." Happy birthday, Spoon!

I think Hugh's numbers are a little off because they fail to include weekend driving... like a 14 hour round trip through a radio wasteland, if you happened to be going to a college reunion or something.

Michael also told me to keep an eye out for Treo 600s on eBay, since the prices should fall now that the 650s are out. Interesting idea.

5:59 PM, January 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home