Saturday, December 18, 2004

Take another little piece of my heart, now, Buddy

On Saturday's Morning Edition, Scott Simon made a pretty good case that DC's baseball deal is in trouble because neither MLB nor DC politicians can make a good case in soundbite form.

A good case but a wrong one.

You see, all year I've been saying that I'd believe in the "Nationals" when I saw them take the field on opening day. (And whining that they should still call them the Greys.) I wasn't going to let Bud Selig or the DC government jerk me around again. Not me, jack. Don't believe the hype!

Then I got behind on my Christmas shopping. I had to consider my options... something my family would like, something I could order easily online.

So I started investigating ticket prices. What could be better than good seats for the first season of the new team?

StupidStupidStupid!

One day after I went to the website, the deal was "on hold." People were talking about refunding ticket purchases. I had to face the malls today.

Baseball fans of the DC area, please accept my heartfelt apologies. Don't blame the mayor who can't get his ducks in a row. Don't blame the rampagingly broken system of MLB greed.

I broke the deal. It was the Librarian, on the Internet, with a simple wish of Christmas cheer.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hugh said...

How about some caps or jerseys instead?

And we all want the inside scoop on the rare book theft!

http://www.marionstar.com/news/stories/20041219/localnews/1763350.html

8:14 AM, December 20, 2004  
Blogger Joe said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:08 AM, December 20, 2004  
Blogger Joe said...

It's old news, basically. We've already won a civil case on the state level, but since there's an interstate commerce issue, the Feds are going after Breithaupt too.

The case actually broke when a librarian at another school saw a letter from (or to?) Flannery O'Connor on eBay which he recognized from a copy we sent him. Another one of our pieces turned up in Ireland. We've recovered quite a bit, but I don't think we're ever getting it all back, or collecting actual market value compensation for the material he sold. (This is not the official position of the College.)

It's been an unpleasant business. I'm glad he's pleading guilty this time; his state-level defense was to insult multiple staff members by insinuating they didn't know how valuable our collections were and were throwing these books away. A mutual friend refers to this whole business as "the low point of his professional career."

Where's Judge Roy Bean when you want him? You know, they're right... a liberal is just a conservative who's never been mugged. (And a conservative is just a liberal who's never been broke.)

4:41 PM, December 20, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,

I trust you've read this already. But if you haven't:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15184-2004Dec20.html

From the article: "Look, don't get me wrong: I'm mighty uncomfortable with the fact that Washington and other cities have to further enrich millionaire team owners and players to attract and retain a baseball franchise. But until Congress repeals baseball's antitrust exemption, or until all major cities are willing to sign a pact that none of them will buy into baseball's Ponzi scheme, our choices are either to play by the rules laid down by Major League Baseball or not play at all. Another round of "tough negotiating" won't change that basic reality."

Go Nats!

Regards,
tommyspoon

1:55 PM, December 22, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home