Saturday, November 20, 2004

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Leaving work yesterday, grey sky, cold misty rain. Walking towards the small, stone College chapel as the bells peal out one of the College songs. Students are migrating back home for the weeklong Thanksgiving break.

I’m suddenly gripped by the image of little Ebenezer Scrooge, spending another Christmas at boarding school because Father won’t send for him. Tiny Tim and the Ghost of Christmas Future seem to have captured the public imagination, but it’s those visions of young Ebenezer which are seared into my heart.

Six days until I can get out the wonderful tape I have of Patrick Stewart’s one man show of A Christmas Carol, and my two favorite movie versions… which I’m not ashamed to admit are Bill Murray’s Scrooged and Michael Caine in The Muppet Christmas Carol.

3 Comments:

Blogger lemming said...

I've always liked an empty campus - there's something wonderfully fresh and clean about it, even if the dorm rooms aren't.

I felt for the young Scrooge until I read Harry Potter.

7:55 PM, November 22, 2004  
Blogger Joe said...

And Harry Potter changed that because...?

12:13 PM, November 23, 2004  
Blogger lemming said...

To use a detestable pharse, Harry "found his joy" despite rejection from his family.

This isn't to say that I approve of Father rejecting Scrooge, or the way that the Dursleys raised Harry. Just gave me a new insight, that's all.

5:00 PM, November 23, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home