Sunday, November 06, 2005

The light, the heat

I never knew any guy who wanted to be Luke Skywalker. Anybody worth his salt wanted to be Han Solo. The funny one, the charming one. The one who didn't wear his nobility like a white bathrobe. The one who always came through in the clutch. The one who heard "I love you" and said "I know." The one the princess would rescue. The one with a Wookie best friend and his own spaceship.

But Han's not who I want to talk to you about. If you ask me how Hollywood portrays men, Han's the first one I think of. The second is Lloyd Dobler. A lot of us saw some of ourselves in Lloyd - trying our best in a confusing situation. Trying to live up to something we didn't always see in ourselves. Trying to figure out what it meant (means) to "don't be a guy, be a man."

You ever wonder what Lloyd's doing now? (Well, besides having an Effect.)

Go rent Must Love Dogs.

I know it's a different writer; I know John Cusack is a versatile actor. But if you liked Say Anything, go check this movie out. Because I'm pretty sure this is where quippy, creative, good Lloyd is 20 years later - in his thirties, still following his dreams, still keeping the faith.

If you're lucky, you might see yourself again.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to be Luke. You know why? Because from 1977 - 1983 you ran around the house reciting all of Han's lines like some sort of wackjob.

"I'M Han Solo, blaaah blaaah blaah . . . Don't get cocky, kid, I'M Han Solo! I'm Han Solo! Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. I'M Han Solo! Nyah nyah nyah!!"

Christ, if it weren't for Crocodile Dundee, I swear you'd still be reciting that crap.

So, yeah, I wanted to be Luke. And once he was taken, poor Kevin had to play R2D2 most nights at Murphy's Basement Theatre.

I hope you're proud of yourself.

Love,

Tom

2:00 PM, November 07, 2005  
Blogger Alison said...

I am picturing Kevin at age 5 running around and beeping. The cats want to know why I am laughing so hard.

Tom, I have to say it sort of irks me that you are capable of being this sort of evil genius without even being in the same area code, much less at the same dinner table.

10:35 PM, November 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nobody ever told me anything!
Love,
mom

2:23 AM, December 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home