Thursday, June 09, 2005

If you've ever wondered, wondered whatever became of me

As a rule, I don't blog about my workplace, but this morning threw me a bit. We're doing some rather significant redesign at Small Liberal Arts College Library this summer, and they're putting up a new wall not far from my office. They're hanging the metal studs for the drywall now, and I have to walk through them to get to my desk.

The funny thing is, there's a semi-natural inclination to walk through the "doorway" (even though there's no door there) rather than walk through the spaces in the stud wall. These spaces will admit just about any size human being, so it's not about efficiency. It's just about some things are "walls" and some things are "doors". (Even though, right now, they're just outlines.)

It's very Les Nessman.

3 Comments:

Blogger Swankette said...

If it were me I would have to force myself to walk through the door-like place now, or I would get so ingrained in my little path that once the wall was up I would probably STILL try to take that direct route.

7:30 PM, June 09, 2005  
Blogger Rob said...

LOVE the Less Nessman reference. I can still remember walking "through" the "walls" of a house my aunt & uncle were building in the 80s. When I saw the house years later, I couldn't get it out of my head that I had walked through those walls. Walls usually seem so sturdy & permanent, but in that house I felt like I saw them for what they really are. And that's kinda WEIRD!

12:18 AM, June 10, 2005  
Blogger John Burzynski said...

I haven'tseen WKRP in years...and I didn't think that you were old enough to remember the show...

I am old enough (just barely) to have had a Loni Anderson poster when I was young.

2:18 AM, June 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home