If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
Of course, this begs a quiz. How’ve you been doing identifying these? These are really tiny snippets of lyrics, and some of them are pretty obscure, so I’ve handicapped them with point values. Some should be blindingly obvious, and there are one or two with hints in the original posts. I figure just about anybody should be able to get 2 points. There’s a theoretical maximum of 92.5 points on the quiz, but I’m pretty sure it’s unattainable. Somebody might hit 77.5, but I’d be shocked.
General rules: Leave a comment naming the artists and the titles of the songs you recognize. Take bragging rights if you’re the first person to name one. Alternately, tally up your points and just assert your score. If the lyric hits you like a maddening earworm but you have to Google the specifics, take half-credit. Words in parentheses are my edits; really, those should not be confounding.
Everyone reading this is encouraged to play. Come out, come out, wherever you are. If you think the scores aren’t fair… well, maybe Lemming and TRP want to convene an Academic Review Board. But I doubt it.
- If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine (4 pts)
- And you need a fire to sit beside while the winter winter weaves on its cloak (8 pts)
- Through light projected he can see himself up close (5 pts)
- That would be roaringly funny (5 pts)
- Won't you help me sing? (2 pts)
- Don't like your prayer; it's worse than a vice (15 pts. 30 if you did not live in the DC metropolitan area in the mid 1990s. Bonus point if you can make a convincing argument that I’ve transcribed this lyric wrong.)
- One song that would steal our hearts before they turn into silver and gold (7 pts)
- If there was one I could receive in (5 pts)
- Twelve Drummers Drumming (0.5 pts... I mean, come on)
- Razzle-Dazzle Them (1 pt)
- Friends and relations send salutations (2 pts)
- Diamonds in the snow sparkle (4 pts. Bonus point if you can name the artist on the cover version I adore)
- Take another little piece of my heart, now, (Buddy) (0.5 pts)
- Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow (0.5 pts)
- It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas (0.5 pts)
- Five to one, baby. One in five. (1 pt)
- And so it's your (birthday), and what have you done? (0.5 pts)
- Tiger Tiger Woods, y’all (5 pts)
OK, these aren’t lyrics, but they’re cultural references:
- I am (not) Tiger Woods (3 pts)
- If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it (8 pts)
(On Live Journal, they call this the Lyrics Meme, and you're encouraged to try something similar if you run a blog/LJ. If you decide to, let me know and I’ll come play.)
Answers in a week, unless everybody I know posts sooner.