Saturday, August 06, 2005

You're never alone. Not here.

(I can use the spoken word part of a song as a lyric. It's my darn blog.)

The great thing about the Internet is how it proves, over and over, that you're not all that weird. Or more to the point, that there are other people out there about the same level of weird as you.

This is also the scary thing about the Internet.

Whatever your interests, habits, quirks, tendencies, beliefs... there's somebody out there on the Internet who shares them. And writes about them. And has new, different, sometimes better, sometimes inspirational ideas about them.

Like I said... scary.

It's important to belong to a group. It's important to know that we're not alone out here, that, after a fashion, we're not all that unique. Humans are, and need to be, social animals. We need to see ourselves reflected in each other. I love the feeling of discovering that someone else is a passionate but uninformed baseball fan, or a beer geek, or a Top 10 List junkie, especially when these things are outside my frame of reference for a person. I love being surprised by this.

And so, my latest surprise. Wil Wheaton and I think similar thoughts in our kitchens...

Wheaton, you brilliant bastard.

Hands up if you've done this.

No?

Hands up if you're going to.

Thought so.

I, myself, am going home by way of the store.

1 Comments:

Blogger lemming said...

I did once have diet pepsi and a half dozen donuts at 5 AM (post prom) - does this count? :-)

4:50 PM, August 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home