Monday, February 14, 2005

Like a worn-out recording of a favorite song

The lyrics meme answers are up; have a look and see how you did. I know some of them were pretty obscure, and some were pretty short, and this is very hard to do without melody or at least rhythm but… seriously, not one person got the Bob Marley reference? I know it’s not one of the radio-friendly hits, but… people, there’s some remedial reggae in our future. And I do know how to find most of you.

And speaking of filling in holes in our musical knowledge, Pepsi and Apple are running the Free Singles On iTunes promotion again. (Can't stand the ad campaign this time, but I digress.) This is what put me on the iTMS bandwagon in the first place… I hit very close to my 1 in 3 free songs, and to cash them in you need a username and an account, and then you just add one album to your shopping cart to see what happens, and it’s all over.

The funny thing is, I don’t even like Pepsi. I’m a Coke guy through and through. In a pinch, I’m a Pepper, but only Pepsi and Diet Pepsi are running the contest. (And, apparently, Mountain Dew and Sierra Mist. Ick.) It doesn’t matter, though, because most of the time, I drink juice at lunch and soda water or beer at home.

Wow. So, as Sir Winston (apocryphally) would have it, we know what I am, and the price seems to be a 33% chance at a 99 cent song.

I ought to just do the math… 5 Pepsis a week from now until about May, minus the 1/3rd which pay for themselves with the free song. So take the money I’d spend on the losers, hit iTunes for a major binge, and get on with my life.

And I would, but I’m on a winning streak.

The point of this, though, is that I’ve got some free songs, and I was planning on grabbing up some guilty pleasures. Specifically, I’m not too proud to say it, I headed straight for the Janet Jackson section looking for “Control,” “Nasty Boys,” and “Rhythm Nation.” 0-for-3. Only Janet’s newer stuff is available. Feh. That catalog has come a long way, but there’s still a long way to go.

As long as I’ve mentioned Janet, let me recommend Richard Thompson’s last word on the halftime debacle. That's a link straight to the MP3. Is it work-safe? Depends where you work. And how loud you laugh (or curse my worthless soul).

6 Comments:

Blogger Swankette said...

College students may listen to reggae, but they're never going to remember the lyrics. Reggae inspires mind alteration, and there's no way you're memorizing song lyrics on an altered mind.

Not that I'd know or anything. I'm just saying.

1:34 AM, February 15, 2005  
Blogger lemming said...

I'm afraid I spent my college years learning about Philip Glass and Erasure - hard-pressed to name any reggae song.

P.S. "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)"

Thanks for putting it (and the yoga/yogurt problem) back into my previously quiet mind... :-)

1:35 PM, February 15, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Janis Ian was a typo. Duh. Mea culpa.

Give me a couple of hours and I'll burn the Janet for you. Don't know that I've got Rhythm Nation on CD, but I do have the other two. That first big-ticket album of hers was a keeper.

5:26 PM, February 15, 2005  
Blogger Hugh said...

I remember a reggae band performaing on Ascension Lawn (or whatever the name of that big space is between Ransom and Ascension), and the first thing I thought was that, when the uprising comes, that crowd is going to be among the first to go.

"Free Africa", indeed.

I'm going to start passing the dutchie on the RIGHT hand side.

8:52 AM, February 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fave JJ song: "That's the Way Love Goes"

Hey, question for you. My Dad is thinking of getting my Sister an iPod. What have you heard about iTunes for Windows? Any good?

Regards,
tommyspoon

10:49 AM, February 16, 2005  
Blogger Joe said...

Allright, that is it. You're all cordially invited to the first Sake Reggae Party, location TBD, this Memorial Day Weekend. Two glasses, you'll be swaying to "Three Little Birds." Five, and we'll need bail money for caterwauling "Redemption Song."

Hugh, there was an article in the NYT recently about the mixed reactions in Ethiopia to the Rastafarians. Seems the people who actually live there don't quite get how it became a promised land to people who don't seem to do much more concrete than drop occasional tourist dollars. (I'm vastly oversimplifying, I'm sure.)

Spoon, Herself uses iTunes for Windows and is plenty happy with it. I see it on student computers all the time, and an iPod is the undergraduate accessory of choice, so it looks to me like they've done a pretty good job with the port.

6:49 PM, February 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home