Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Tiger Tiger Woods, y'all

According to ESPN, Tiger Woods is pulling out of a tournament this weekend because of "fatigue". After all, he did play golf just last weekend, and overseas no less. So he's just too plumb tuckered out to play this weekend.

Now I, myself, am not a golf player. But of my friends and family who are, I've never heard "I played last weekend" offered as an excuse not to play this weekend. Of course, these folks are not professional golfers, either, so maybe that's not fair.

It's probably also not fair to point out that most of the people I know work 5 or 6 day weeks, 40+ hours a week, for bosses who don't particularly want to hear that we're too tired to come to work. But it's true.

On the other hand, I do think it's pretty fair to say that there are major league baseball players out there who play 4 hours of baseball 5 or 6 days a week. And there are professional football players whose very job is to smash into other 300-pound professional athletes at a high rate of speed, and they manage to get to work once a week.

So, Tiger? On behalf of people who play real sports and just working people everywhere...

TiVo the damn Gilligan's Island marathon and pick up a club, huh?

2 Comments:

Blogger Hugh said...

However, if every time you made a mistake at work, you heard millions of people "D'oh!"-ing and bunches of people on TV, print, and the internet all over the world talking about what a dope you were for mis-coding that information, and that you obviously have lost a step over the past few years, and every single question that is asked of you is either criticizing you or asking for something, to say nothing of the voices in your head asking "why did you mis-code that?" and then when you finish your primary job you have to go to your secondary and tertiary jobs with the same people telling you the same things, I think that "fatigue" is an OK excuse.

I agree, what a wuss. :-)

9:23 AM, September 24, 2004  
Blogger Joe said...

You perfectly described my week. And I don't see Nike and Calloway fighting over who gets to give me the bling-bling.

:-)

2:51 PM, September 24, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home