Tuesday, August 24, 2004

All right, darn you. I'll learn CSS.

I’ve only been saying I would for 4 or 5 years now. It’s not like I thought this would never come.

But you’ve forced my hand. What is it about the popularity of Minima among people I know? (If you’re not running your own blog on Blogger, Minima is one of the default designs offered by Blogger; it’s the one used by this site and a bunch of others linked to this site. Apparently, someone named Douglas Bowman created it. Thanks, Douglas.)

This might actually be a neat project: how does blog design correlate to age, gender, nationality, topic area, frequency of update… wow, invoke Foucault and I bet there’s a dissertation in there for someone.

But this is a blog, not a refereed journal, so all we have is my baseless speculation.

So what do we know? Well, Minima is immediately readable. It’s a nice, clean design. It’s quite reminiscent of writing on paper: black text, white background,

And the people using it? Well, one might call them “the people of the text.” This is a decidedly bookish lot. They’re all old enough to remember monochrome and greyscale monitors. (And 14.4 modems! And walking a mile to school, uphill, in the snow! Both ways! You whippersnappers today, with your wireless Internet and your cell phones and your Dark Age of Camelot… why, I remember the first version of Ultima! And then there’s…)

(Doctor’s Note: Mr. Murphy seems to have missed his 9 PM dose of medication. This has been remedied. We apologize for any inconvenience.)

My point being, we’re not actually old by most standards, except, occasionally, our own.

Not for us, colors and shapes, oh no. I was happy with a text browser 14 years ago and I’ll write a blog that reminds me of the good old days. (Actually, I seem to remember seeing a green-on-black style sheet somewhere. Maybe I’ll go orange on dark brown, if I can get the right font for an old VAX terminal.)

So, anyway, I’ve figured out how to mess with my stylesheet in Dreamweaver, so perhaps I’ll do something with the design. Personally, I’ve never thought of myself as particularly visually oriented, but I’ll give it a shot.

2 Comments:

Blogger lemming said...

"But this is a blog, not a refereed journal, so all we have is my baseless speculation."

For this, I am truly grateful. Speculation is much more fun than the latest refereed arguments over the extent to which we should push the boundaries of the argued, theoretical nature of the term "colony" in studying the seventeenth century, particularly with regard to the Atlantic Ocean and...

9:38 AM, August 25, 2004  
Blogger Hugh said...

The old VAX terminal font? Oh, yeah, I would completely steal that from your site. I still remember walking into the old computer center in Olin during orientation back in 1987. Wow, I was so impressed with terms like USERNAME, PASSWORD, and SHOW USERS (it took me 2.5 years until I learned to shorten it to SH US.

And don't even get me started on .dis lists.

2:42 PM, September 07, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home