Sunday, August 21, 2005

The things you think are precious I can't understand

My "Joe Redskin" jersey is not the oldest garment I own, but it does date back to the "going to college" shopping trips. It's held up better than anything else from that era, though, partly because of it's better fabric, and partly because I only grew into it a year or two after I graduated. (What can I say, I was a stick. Now, I'm more of... well, a branch, anyway.)

My shirt from the 2001 American League Division Series is full of fond memories. It's a souvenir of the only post-season baseball game I've ever seen in person. The Indians gave the Mariners a trouncing unlike any I can recall seeing the team I was rooting for hand out when it really mattered. Of course, they blew games 4 and 5 and lost the series, but the important thing is, I got to see Game 3 with friends.

They're in a box now.

And it makes me a little sad. The whole point of a souvenir is that it's something you trip over occasionally and get a happy memory from. I'm going to see those shirts less if they're in a box, which means I'll have fewer of the happy thoughts associated with them.

But I can't very well say that the NCAA should ban offensive names and mascots while I wear the words Redskin and a Chief Wahoo logo. So into the box they go. It is possible to get less offensive team garb for Washington and Cleveland, I checked. My economic vote may not say much, but it says something I can live with.

-----

And a different "thing I think is precious": welcome to the world, niece Bridget. I'll do what I can to make this a good place for you and your sister.

3 Comments:

Blogger John Burzynski said...

Sorry, I dropped out of the original posting and never returned...

I will issue this challenge to you...if you firmly believe in your stance (and I feel that you do, and respect you for your feelings on the subject), then throw away the old Indians/Redskins garb...don't just pack it away.

That might make the decision a bit more difficult.

Not trying to be smart, but packing away and throwing away is making a larger leap.

I still personally feel that the Chief Wahoo character just looks offensive, kind of a remnant of the Sambo days, while the Redskins logo doesn't offend me. Just personal feelings, I am not an indian / Native American.

I think that these type of things need to be evaluated on an individual basis, yes, a team named the 'niggers' for the sake of argument in the original posting, would offend most people, whereas 'indians' doesn't seem to bother too many people. One is a racial slur, the other, at least in my estimation, isn't. One is a word meant to denigrate a group of people and a word that causes hatred to be exhibited, the other is an identifier without hatred or nastiness attached to it.

I think that the purpose / meaning behind each logo, character, tradition needs to be assessed and judged.

9:53 AM, August 22, 2005  
Blogger lemming said...

On a different note (Hi John!) Bridget is a beautiful name, and an apt one for an Irish Girl. Best wishes.

1:50 PM, August 22, 2005  
Blogger Joe said...

John: In time, I'm sure I will just chuck them. For now, baby steps.

As far as evaluating intent, I see your point. But turn it around as well... if you're doing something and meaning no harm, but find out you're causing harm anyway, shouldn't you stop?

Lem: Thanks. My brother and sister-in-law do have lovely taste in Irish names. Poor guy, he's outnumbered 3 to 1 now.

11:56 PM, August 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home